Sunday, September 30, 2018

The Word Of Our God


Guest Post by Marion Smith
His Word: The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the Word of our God stands forever.  Isaiah 40:8 (NLT)
Observation & Obedience: Have you ever prayed for something so hard that you wondered if God even hears?  Perhaps your life feels like withered grass in a desert or a faded flower that has lost its luster because of Autumn’s chill.  I think everyone at one time or another has had feelings of doubt or despair.  Yet, God, in His infinite goodness, provides us with a window of hope.  He says His Word stands forever, regardless of our circumstances, regardless of how we feel, regardless of what our future holds.
This particular verse has special meaning for me because of a gift I once received from my son.  He was in Macau, China and had been hired as a professional musician for a well-known resort.  During the time he was there, he became a Buddhist and was inspired by the Buddhist shrines and Eastern religions.  As a Christian, it was very hard for me to accept his newfound faith.  Even though I prayed for him day and night to recommit his life to Christ, it didn’t happen and I felt like God had not heard my prayers.  I was in a desert, parched and dry in my own faith, and I kept longing for a sign, some window of hope that would show me God was at work.
The time came when my son finished his assignment and soon came to visit us for the Christmas holidays.  It was so good to have him home, to spend time with him, and be together as a family for those few days.  Christmas day arrived, we sat around opening presents and he handed me one more gift.  A gift he had specially picked out just for me.  I carefully unwrapped it and saw that it was a little resin cross that had a resin rose winding down across the front of the figurine.  Also engraved on the cross was an inscription in Chinese with the numbers 40:8 printed at the bottom.
Thanking my son for the gift and giving him a hug, we sat on the sofa together looking at the cross.  I said, “Where did you find this?  It’s beautiful.”  My son, excitedly replied, “Mom, I knew I wanted to get you something Christian, so I had to shop all over Hong Kong to find a Christian bookstore.  I found only one and when I saw this little cross, I thought of you.”  Now, imagine the feeling I had at that moment.  Not only was I incredibly awed at the gift my son had so thoughtfully purchased, but I also felt the prick on my heart that God indeed had heard my prayers.
As we sat side by side on the sofa looking at the cross, I asked my son, “So, do you know what it says?”  “No,” he replied.   So I gently said, “Why don’t we look in the Bible?  Do you think it might be Psalms?”  We looked up Psalms 40:8.  It wasn’t the right verse.  “It can’t be Proverbs, because that book only has 31 chapters.  I wonder if it’s Isaiah?”  We opened up my Bible to Isaiah 40:8 and read the verse together.  “The grass withers and flowers fade, but the Word of God stands forever.”

It was as if God had made time stand still.  Even though I had almost given up hope, God reminded me that regardless of my feelings, regardless of my circumstances, regardless of the future, God says His Word stands forever.  It was a valuable lesson for me to never give up hope, no matter how dry my desert becomes or how colorless my flowers of seed planting appear.  God is my Deliverer.  My son eventually gave up Buddhism and, like all of us, is on a faith journey towards the One who goes before us, is with us and leads us to everlasting truth.
Prayer: “Precious Holy Father, We praise you and thank you for being our solid Rock.  Thank you for being the kind of God that we can come to with our doubts and fears, with our highs and lows.  Thank you for accepting us as we are and for giving us Your promise…that regardless of our feelings, circumstances or future…Your Word stands forever.  Help us to trust you completely in the desert of our lives and look to the Rose of Sharon, the true flower that never fades.”
Thank You, Marion Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment