Tuesday, July 10, 2018

A Heart Set Free


His Word: I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.  Psalm 119:32
Observation & Obedience: How’s your heart health? Does it feel restrained or free? Are you overwhelmed with wonder and weak from worry? Does your heart need a boost of God’s power?  David knew what was required when he was feeling overwhelmed and weak. He recognized that he needed to be running along the path of God’s commands.  Not following what the world would say was the solution; but what the Word of God said.
David did not run in the path of God’s commands all alone and neither can we. If left on our own, we will wander off God’s path. We may see a more attractive and easier looking path and decide to go our own way instead of following God’s. And when we set out to make our own path, our heart is not free. Instead, it is burdened because we only have ourselves to depend on.  It is stressed with worry that we will make a wrong move and/or decision. 
In this section of Psalm 119, David gave God some specific requests in order for him to continue following the right path. I gave an account of my ways and you answered me; teach me your decrees (v. 26).  David was honest with God about his shortcomings and human frailties. He did not let his power, pride or position as king stand in the way of asking for help.  He asked to be taught. Are you teachable?
Cause me to understand the way of your precepts (v. 27a). David not only asked to be taught God’s precepts, he needed to understand what he was learning. We may be teachable but are we learning? On any given day, we are inundated with information, news, facts, figures, trivial nonsense, etc. But how much do we retain? How much of God’s commands do we personally apply to our lives? 
Strengthen me according to your word (v. 28b). David knew he had a lot to learn from God; as do we. There are times when our soul is weak and our heart is heavy. We feel like we have failed God once again; we just can’t seem to get it right.  Yet, God doesn’t see us as failures. Like a good Father, he is there to pick us up and put us back on his path. Our strength is renewed through his words of love and compassion and his Word of instruction.
Keep me from deceitful ways (v. 29a). When was the last time you asked God to keep you from lying to yourself? We are good at justifying everything we want to do; whether it agrees with God’s commands or not. We can easily talk ourselves out of anything we don’t want to do. It’s a daily battle to stay on God’s path. That is what David knew to be true and why he needed God’s help.  
If David needed to ask for help, so do you and me! We’ll never run out of things to learn about God and his precepts. Our finite mind may often struggle to understand, but we must never stop learning. There is no substitute for gaining physical and emotional strength than through God’s Word. We live in a deceitful world and must fight the battle daily to keep running along the path of God’s commands. Only then will our hearts be free!
Prayer: Dear God, thank you that you care enough that you will take the time to teach me your ways. I know that some days I am a better student than other days. Please help me to be more open to learn what you have to teach me, able to understand and willing to apply. I know the world cannot give me the strength I need; only you and your Word can keep me on the right path. Forgive me for the times I don’t want to learn and instead focus more on my own selfish and deceitful ways. You have given the steps to have a free heart; I just need to follow. Amen. 
Encouragement: If you want God to do something new, you cannot keep doing the same old thing.                   Mark Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment