Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Because He Said So


His Word: “Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you.” 1Peter 5:7
Observation and Obedience:  In this verse Peter is thought to be quoting Psalm 55:22 “Give all your cares to the Lord and He will give you strength. He will never let those who are right with Him be shaken.” As he writes to the early Christians, Peter is advising, even warning them, that to stay focused on the duties and service of God is going to require that they not get caught up in worry.
So how do we do that? Breathe in…….Breathe out……YHWH. (just a little reminder) We need to humble ourselves, admit that we are powerless, lose the idea that we can fix anything and everything in our own might and time if we will just worry and stress enough about it. That’s not what God wants for us. It’s not healthy for us to do that. He’s saying “give it all to me, all your personal worries, all your family cares, all your concerns for the future, all your anxiety for yourselves, for your treatment, for others. ALL OF IT! Any of it is more than He ever intended for us to fix or carry. It’s heavy, it’s burdensome, and our distrustthat He will work all things for His glory in His time is often sinful. (OUCH!) Father, forgive us.
How often do we struggle with frustration, anger, and uncertainty when the unexpected sufferings or trials disrupt our lives? Too many times in those most difficult moments of our lives, confusion and distraction overwhelm us, while contentment and the peace of Christ flee; questions and fear take the place of prayer and perseverance in our faith.
The worry and distraction of anxiety is a tool of Satan that robs us of the joy and blessing of sharing our faith. Anxiety tortures us and is a distraction of our minds. That can be scary, and then the fear ramps up and spirals us into a dizzying mess. There were times when I couldn’t remember my phone number because the anxiety, fear and information overload in the face of a cancer diagnosis turned my brain to mush. God is gracious and faithful in those times and Jesus is our example of what it looks like to live in holiness when this world has turned against you. Jesus modeled that by seeking out time with His Heavenly Father and giving it up. Not my will, not my way, but Yours God. That’s what Jesus modeled for us. Jesus also looked for the support of his disciples. I was blessed to have the support of my husband, family and dear friends. Another provision of God.
Peter’s encouragement to his Christian readers is to push through the tough times; recognize their temporary presence in our lives, and we are not to worry about the details or the outcome.  We are to leave every event to God’s wise and gracious disposal. Our firm belief that His ways are best and His timing is perfect, will go a long way in calming our spirits. It is God’s Holy Spirit who provides what we need to walk in holiness and hope as people of faith when we cast our burdens, worries and anxiety on Him. 
Prayer: Thank You, Father God, for loving me enough that you don’t want me to spend my time here weighed down and stressed out. Thank You for sending Jesus as our example of how to live in a relationship with you that allows complete trust and obedience in your plan for my life. Forgive me for the times I’ve lost the joy and missed the blessing of sharing your love with others because I was distracted and anxious. Keep me humble and give me the sensitivity and wisdom to know when I need to let go and allow your plan to unfold in your gracious and wise way. I trust you. I love you and I thank You for loving me first, best and forever. 
Encouragement: Has anyone ever invited you to something that you knew would be hard? They give you the reassurance though by saying, “don’t worry, I’ll be there with you. We’ll do this together.” Feel the invitation from Jesus today into the hard stuff. He’s saying, “Don’t worry. I’ll be there with you. We’ll do this together.” (FB Daily Audio Bible Women)

No comments:

Post a Comment