Sunday, March 25, 2018

Be Brave......Find Joy


His Word: Joshua 1:9 “Have I not told you? Be strong and have strength of heart! Do not be afraid or lose faith. For the Lord your God is with you anywhere you go.”
Observation and Obedience: Why does this verse sound so familiar? Well, first of all, we are sticking to the theme of the month and second of all, we have camped out with Joshua and the Israelites hearing from God, himself.  It took the Israelites 40 years to go from slavery in Egypt to the Promised Land. A trip that could have been done in a month. But, because of their unbelief, God took them the scenic route. The route that would test their faith and strengthen their trust in Him. I, myself, have been known to travel the scenic route at times. ;p
Can you hear the “If I’ve told you once…..I’ve told you a hundred times” tone? “Have I not told you?” God, like most parents, repeats Himself often and with emphasis to make His point clear to His beloved! In some versions it is a command.  This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” “This is my command” – not a recommendation, not a suggestion, NOT AN OPTION! (You remember some of those from your childhood, I’m sure.)
 Have we gotten the point? Truth be told, we may never get it, but that doesn’t mean we stop Trusting and Believing. And better yet, it doesn’t mean He’ll give up on us! God already knows how many times I’m going to mess up, try it on my own and fall down. His response is “794 down……..only 232 to go!” He’s excited for us to finally come into the fullness of life in Him.
The very next sentence He’s there cheering us on! “Be strong and have strength of heart! Do not be afraid or lose faith.” It’s OK, I’m still here, I still love you, get up and let’s try this again. He wipes our tears, kisses our boo-boos and takes our hand with love, tenderness and compassion.

So what is strength of heart? It’s COURAGE:  “the ability and willingness to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation;  the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc.”
The challenge of our journey is the quality of our mind and spirit. We all face this at least once or twice in our lifetime. Even if it’s just a reluctance to try something new, to head off into uncharted territory, step outside of our comfort zone. We’re afraid of feeling inadequate, stupid, embarrassed, clumsy, or afraid of letting people down. We doubt our ability to do something other than that which we know and we’re familiar and comfortable with. We limit the power of God in us and the blessings He has for us, when we allow the fears and feeling of inadequacy to cripple our resolve, muddle our minds and shake our confidence. God says “DON’T DO THAT!!” There’s so much He wants to give us and share with us if we would just have courage. 
I would have missed so much 5 years ago, had I not stepped out of my comfort zone and enrolled in an adult ed photography class…… all. by. myself. You see, that’s not something I do easily or with confidence. Walking into an unknown as an unknown is HARD for me. The last adult ed class I had taken, 20 years ago, I took with a friend who died of an aneurysm after our 1st class together. It was devastating. But, I had made the investment in a camera, and I had the desire to learn what it could do in my hands. I believe God placed that desire in me and His Spirit stirred me until I stepped out. So I went. And this is how much God loves me;  I walked out of that class 10 weeks later with a GIFT. The gift of a friend who has become a BFF. She is my sister by another Mother. I love her and I’ve waited all my life for a friendship like this. I WOULD HAVE MISSED SO MUCH! She gets me, I get her and she stuck by me through the most painful year of my life. Thank You Jesus for knowing me and loving me beyond what I can even comprehend. 
So you see, it’s not all about being brave when you’re up against some tough, scary times, it’s about being courageous enough to step out and try something new. Live out the desires of your heart. God has placed those desires, abilities and giftings in you for a reason. He wants to bless you. God desires for you to live the life He created you for! He’s got a wild imagination and the power to bring it forth in and through you. He longs to bless you this way.
God wants us, in the face of a new, momentous, risky, or humanly impossible situation to maintain a fixed focus on Him. Leave no room for fear, despair, feelings of inadequacy and doubt.

Adjust your focus – verb; (of a person or their eyes) adapt to the prevailing level of light and become able to see clearly. Make God your focus – noun; the center of interest or activity. 
Adapting to God’s all-embracing light so that we can see His hand, know His love and hear His heartbeat for our lives will require putting Him in the center of our interests and activity. Adjusting Focus. Now we’re talking my language. Photography language! 

I hope that you will be encouraged today to try something new! Break out of your comfortable place in the sandbox and see what the rest of the playground has to offer. Haven’t you always wished you were brave enough to hang from the monkey bars! Do it!! He’s right there and He’ll delight in you as you take His hand and live this time of your life free of fear and full of joy.
Encouragement: “The next person we meet could become one the dearest people in our lives.” Beth Moore 

No comments:

Post a Comment