Tuesday, August 7, 2018

He Heard Me


Guest post by Marion Smith
His Word: I prayed to the Lord, and He answered me.  He freed me from all my fears.   Psalm 34:4 (NLT)
Observation & Obedience: Have you ever read the book, “Shackleton’s Incredible Voyage” by Alfred Lansing?  It is a true story about 28 sailors that sailed across the Continental Antarctica in 1915.  A few days into their voyage, their ship “Endurance” struck ice and slowly sank into the Waddell Sea.  Abandoning ship, the men were stranded on an ice floe for five months, living in isolation, dealing with unbelievable odds, frozen waters, frigid temperatures, frostbitten fingers as well as unbelievable FEAR.  The reoccurring lesson the book taught was to prepare for the voyage, utilize the resources you have, lean on your colleagues and NEVER give up.
Well, did you know that Psalm 34 was written when David feared?  Even though David had just experienced a Kairos moment from killing Goliath with a sling and a stone, had achieved fame and was destined to be Israel’s next king, David faced his greatest fear, the fear for his life as he ran from King Saul.  It was in the midst of this fearful circumstance that he had a choice, to rely on God or run.  Determining that his situation seemed insurmountable, David chose to run.  
Hiding in the enemy’s camp, he decided to pretend insanity and cower, which showed the enemy craziness instead of courage, powerlessness instead of position, and meekness instead of might.  But when David was at his lowest point, he cried, he prayed, he surrendered his heart.  And guess what?  The Almighty God answered.  He not only listened and heard young David’s plea, but He met him where he was and delivered him from his plight.  “I prayed to the Lord, and He heard me and freed me from all my fears,” David said.  
Have you ever been overcome by fear when your future looks bleak?  Do you feel like running away and wonder if God hears you when you’ve used up all your strength?  The message of encouragement for you today is to recognize your inner source of strength, utilize your resources and rely on the one and only true God.  Pray to Him who listens and cares – then praise Him with all your heart when He answers you, and tell people “He heard me.”
Prayer:  “Heavenly Father, sometimes I am afraid of the way my life is going.  I get my eyes off You and begin to doubt that You know what I need.  Help me, Father, to rely only on You, to trust You for every aspect of my life, even when my future seems dark.  Thank you, Jesus, for giving me Your word, for interceding on my behalf and for loving me enough to die on the cross for me.  I pray that You will give me strength when I am weak, courage when I am afraid, and perseverance regardless of my circumstances.  I love You, Lord.  Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer.  I pray this in the powerful, holy name of Jesus.  Amen…so be it.”  
Encouragement: We don’t get to pick the age we will live in, and we don’t get to choose all the struggles we will face. Faithfulness is ours to choose; the shape of faithfulness is God to determine.    Kevin DeYoung
Written by: Marion Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment