Sunday, May 13, 2018

What Do You Boast About?

His Word: But he (God) said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I (Paul) will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.    2 Corinthians 12:9
Observation & Obedience: If anyone had a reason to boast, it would have been Paul. His resume was the envy of every Jewish man. He was educated at the finest scholarly institutions. No one dared discredit his experiences and his references were from among the best of the best!
Yet, in His Word, we see Paul boasting about his weaknesses; and with gladness no less. I’m sure this was a change from the old Paul. A self-sufficient and driven person doesn’t often admit to having weaknesses.
If we go back a few verses, we see what I believe God allowed in Paul’s life to keep him humble. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me (v.7).
We are never told what this “thorn” was. Some believe it could have been a physical limitation. It was an irritant and at times interfered with his ministry. Whatever the case, we do know it was with him until his death.  
Did Paul ever ask God to remove this “thorn”?  Yes, three times in fact. Did God hear his prayer? Yes, and answered by choosing not to remove it. But Paul received something greater than healing. He was given more grace from God, a stronger character, humility and an ability to empathize.
Paul knew his “thorn” was there to remind him of his limited power and God’s infinite strength. He grew to accept his weaknesses and view them as signs of God’s love and grace. He proved that in verse 10: That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.

For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Although God did not remove Paul’s physical affliction, he did promise to demonstrate his power in and through Paul. We must rely on God for our effectiveness rather than simply on our own energy, efforts or talents.
Our weaknesses not only helps develop our Christian character, keeps us humble and enables us to empathize with others, it deepens our worship. By admitting our weaknesses, we in turn, affirm God’s sovereignty. 
Has God given you a “thorn in the flesh” to keep you humble and close to him? How have you responded to it; with grief or gladness?
Have you spent a lot of time asking “Why?” “Why me?” “Why now?” “Why this?” “Why again?”  We may not always get a clear answer. Often God just wants us to trust and know that his grace is the only answer we need.
Without weaknesses, God knows our tendency would be to rely on our own strength. Instead, his power is made perfect in them. We will see that when we are at our weakest,  we are strongest! Choose to boast in your weaknesses and live a life dependent on God’s grace and power!  
Prayer: “Dear God, I know I don’t thank you for my weaknesses like I should. I tend to want them gone; out of my life and never to have to deal with them again. But that’s not always your plan and their purpose is to remind me of your power. If they were no longer around, I would soon forget what they taught me and return to my prideful and self-sufficient ways. Like Paul, they are an irritant and interference in my life, but they are there for a reason; to draw me closer to you and your grace. Amen.”
Encouragement:  Humility leads to strength and not to weakness. It is the highest form of self-respect to admit mistakes and to make amends for them.   John J. McCloy

No comments:

Post a Comment