Friday, May 18, 2018

Who Do You Rely On?

His Word: But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. You are my strength, I sing praise to you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely.   Psalm 59:16-17
Observation & Obedience: Throughout Psalm 59, King David pleads with God for deliverance from his enemies, safety from their swords and protection from those who seek to destroy him.
Deliver me from my enemies, O God; be my fortress against those who are attacking me. Deliver me from evildoers and save me from those who are after my blood (vs. 1-2).
See how they lie in wait for me! Fierce men conspire against me for no offense or sin of mine, LORD. I have done no wrong, yet they are ready to attack me.  They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city (vs. 3,4a, 6).
David knew who his enemies were but he also knew who would go before him and fight for him.  He knew that God was his fortress, refuge and strength. He knew he could rely on him at all times and in all situations. 
You are my strength, I watch for you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely. God will go before me (vs. 9-10a).
Did David’s confidence in God just come naturally to him? We see in His Word that David chose to praise God in the morning; even when he didn’t know what or whom he would encounter that day.  
How was he so sure of what he was saying? David and God enjoyed a close and personal relationship; one where David recognized and acknowledged God as his fortress, his refuge and his strength. 
What was the basis of David’s strong belief? David believed God would do all he asked and all God had promised because he had seen him do it before. His experience proved that God was a faithful and reliable God. 

How do you approach God at the beginning of your day? Is it with a list of your own wants or a list of God’s wonders? Is praise to him on your lips or problems you need fixed?  Choose to praise God regardless!
The whole earth is filled with awe at your wonders; where morning dawns, where evening fades, you call forth songs of joy (Psalm 65:8).
Is your relationship so close with God that you can say with confidence that he is your fortress, your refuge and your strength or are you trying to cover these roles yourself? Let go and let God do what he does best!
But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them that those who love your name may rejoice in you (Psalm 5:11).
Have you experienced God’s faithfulness? Is there anyone else who is more reliable than him? He longs to prove himself to you; you just need to be willing and watching. Open your eyes and heart to his love today.
Prayer: “I will shout with joy to you, my LORD! I will worship you with gladness. I choose to come before you, singing with joy. I acknowledge that you LORD are God! You made me, and I am yours. I will enter your gates with thanksgiving;  go into your courts with praise. I give thanks to you and praise your name. For my LORD is good!  Your unfailing love continues forever, your faithfulness continues to each generation! Amen” (Psalm 100).
Encouragement: Everyday we have a choice: we can let doubt beat us up or we can let God’s truth build us up.  Renee Swope

No comments:

Post a Comment