Sunday, April 22, 2018

What Are You Chasing After?

His Word: Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.          Proverbs 19:21
Observation & Obedience: His Word for today summarizes life in two sentences! We spend our days trying to complete everything on our to-do list, while in the end; it is God’s purpose that will prevail.
Do you go to sleep at night with a list of what wasn’t accomplished and wake in the morning with an ongoing memo alert of what waits for you? Is it any wonder why you don’t feel rested and refreshed? 
How often do you try to add good things to your daily list while the most important things get buried and ignored? What dreams do you chase after that you believe will fill the void in your life?
Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, says that” without a clear purpose you will keep changing directions, hoping each change will settle the confusion or fill the emptiness in your heart.” 
Can you think back over your life and recall what kind of plans you had for your life in your teens? Your twenties? Your thirties? How many of those have come to fruition? How many of those seem foolish years later?
It’s not wrong to have goals and dreams. But when we commit all our time and energy into pursuing what we want and not taking God’s plans into consideration, they become an unhealthy obsession. 
King Solomon recounts his life spent pursuing after what he wanted: But as I looked at everything I had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all so meaningless; like chasing the wind. There was nothing really worthwhile anywhere (Ecclesiastes 2:11 NLT).
God wants us to seek his purpose and plans for our lives. He longs for us to fulfill the destiny we were designed for. He puts his desires in our heart; we just have to be willing to acknowledge them and put them into action. 
How do you tend to start your day?  By giving God a copy of your itinerary and appointment schedule and praying for his blessing on it? Or do you begin with asking God to guide and direct your day and its plans? 
Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans(Proverbs 16:3). It’s a promise!

Are you open to God’s interruptions during the day? Actually, you don’t have much of a choice in this matter. Remember, God’s purpose will prevail. What he wants done, will get done; either by you or someone else.
Why not let it be you God uses to fulfill his plans. Don’t miss out on the blessings that come from being the one God works in and through. Don’t spend your life changing directions and chasing after the wind. 
Listen to your heart. Choose not to settle for what the world says you need to do. Pursue your God-given goals and plans, knowing that it’s never too late to accomplish everything God has placed in your heart. 
Prayer: “Dear God, you have so many plans prepared for me. Things you want me to say and do that will show others your power, provision, protection and promises. I pray that I will not let my own goals and dreams stand in the way of you using me. I can be stubborn and want what I want, but in the end, I know your purpose will prevail and I don’t want to miss out on seeing you work in and through my life.  Amen.” 
Encouragement: Dear God, if today I lose my hope, please remind me that your plans are better than my dreams.   Holley Gerth

No comments:

Post a Comment