Monday, January 15, 2018

Trust In HIM or In Things?

His Word:  Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.   Psalm 62: 5-8
Observation & Obedience: In today’s verses, David expresses his feelings for God and then reaffirms his faith. Trusting God to be our rock, salvation, fortress and refuge will change our whole outlook on life.
Do you have times of “emotional stress”? Are there days when you can’t seem to get anything right nor can any of the other people in your life? Maybe it’s a situation where you feel like your world is falling apart and crashing down around you or like everyone has turned against you.
As king, we can imagine David had days and situations like this quite often. This Psalm was written during the days of his son, Absalom’s, rebellion (2 Samuel 15-18). Yet once again, David reminds us of where he finds his hope and strength in troubled times and we can too. Let’s dissect these verses and see how.
In verse 5, David shows us that two things only come from God. Rest for our soul and hope for a weary heart only come from God. So why do we continue to search for it in other places?
In verse 6, David uses three images to describe God.  He is my rock, my salvation and my fortress. What is the result for David and for us?  I (We) will not beshaken.
When we find our rest and put our hope in the Solid Rock, the Source of our Salvation and the Strength of a Fortress, we never need to worry about being shaken when times of trouble come.
In verse 7a, we see that David’s honor depends on God.  If it weren’t for God’s favor and his anointing, David would not be in the position he was as King of Israel. 
In 7b, David repeats his description of God by adding more detailed wording. He is my mighty rock and my refuge.  Do you notice how many times the word “my” is used in these verses?   Nine times David reveals and reminds us of the personal relationship he has with God.
He then advises us that in order to find rest for our soul and hope for our heart, we should do what he does. Trust in him (God) at all times and to pour out your heart to him. Why? Because he cares. He can be trusted and he is our refuge.  If David can say this with such great confidence even when his life is being turned upside down, so can we!
Refuge is defined as “a place of shelter, protection from danger, or safety.” Who else can we call our refuge? Where else can we find shelter, know we’re protected from danger and feel safe? 
In. God. Alone.
Prayer: “Dear God, you are my hope, my rock, my salvation, my fortress, my honor and my refuge. Why would I need to look any place else for rest? The world certainly can’t provide it. My friends and family can’t guarantee it. My looks and education can’t supply it. My career and money can’t buy it. True rest for my soul and hope for my heart can only come from you and you alone God. Today I choose to stop looking to these people and things to meet my needs and to trust you enough with my life to pour out my heart to you knowing that you love me and will listen to me. Amen.”
Encouragement: People, places and things were never meant to give us life. God alone is the author of a fulfilling life.  Gary Smalley and John Trent
We all go through pain and sorrow, but the presence of God, like a warm, comforting blanket, can shield and protect us, and allow a deep inner joy to surface, even in the most devastating circumstances.     Barbara Johnson  

No comments:

Post a Comment