Saturday, June 2, 2018

Proclaim His Greatness


We are privileged to have guest devotion blog writers during the summer. Enjoy hearing from Marion Smith today!
His Word: For I will proclaim the name of Adonai.  Come, declare the greatness of our God!  The Rock! His work is perfect, for all His ways are just. A trustworthy God who does no wrong, He is righteous and straight.     Deuteronomy 32:3-4 (CJB)
Observation & Obedience: How many of you remember the song, “El Shaddai,” penned by Amy Grant?  The lyrics evoke praise and worship that truly makes the heart soar. 
“El Shaddai, el shaddai, El-elyon na adonia; Age to age you’re still the same; By the power of the name El shaddai, el shaddai, Erkamka na adonai; I will praise and lift you high.”
The powerful descriptions of God help us to understand who He is and why we cannot help but praise and proclaim the name of God.
One of my favorite ways to study the bible is to read different versions.  What one version may say, another may put a completely different spin on the words.  In Deuteronomy 32:3, the Complete Jewish Bible translates scripture as, For I will proclaim the name of Adonai. Come, declare the greatness of our God!” 
The Message Bible paraphrases the verse as, For it’s God’s Name I’m preaching; respond to the greatness of our God! 
The Good News Translations says, I will praise the name of the Lord, and his people will tell of his greatness.
Yet, if you read the Wycliffe version, it states, For I shall inwardly call the name of the Lord; give ye glory to our God.
What kind of proclaimer are you?  Are you a mountaintop type of person that loves to evangelize by publicly professing your praise?  Or are you a mild type of person that loves to show others your praise by the quiet way you live? Whichever way you choose, God loves our praise, by our words and by the way we live.  
As proclaimers of Christ, what is the message we are to give others?  Regardless of the translation, Deuteronomy 32:4 tells us that the Lord is our Rock, our mighty Defender, perfect and just in all His ways, faithful and true, fair and just – simply put – a trustworthy God who does no wrong.  
He is a God you can depend upon, no exceptions, a straight-arrow God.  Whether life is going good or whether it’s turned upside down, praise the One who is worthy to be praised.  In other words…Proclaim His greatness!  
Prayer: “Precious Father, I praise You for who You are.  I want to thank you for all You’ve done, for creating this wonderful world that I’m in.  My arms are outstretched, Lord, a song is on my lips as I worship you all day long, morning, noon and night.  You are forever in my thoughts.  Great is Your faithfulness, God.  You are my Rock and my Defender, my Fortress and my Source of strength.  Thank you for sending Your son, Jesus, to die on the cross, for loving me in order to make a way for me to spend eternity with You.  I thank you also for sending the Holy Spirit and for the wisdom He gives.  You are amazing.  I praise and worship and give You glory.  Amen.”   
Encouragement:  Worship is like breathing: you’re created to do it all the time. It’s a lifestyle.   Joseph L. Garlington
Written by: Marion Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment